Tuesday, March 31, 2009

When I grow up I want to work at Hatch Creative Studio.


Flowers keep me up at night. So do votives, linens, mood lighting and occasionally assorted styles of vases. To me this is some important ish. As most of you know I highly enjoy things that have to do with design and decorating and since we got engaged my mind has been racing with the possibilities.

To date I've made approximately 12 mood boards that define the "look and feel" of the wedding. There are color stories, and floral motifs as well as boards of the items I've purchased and boards of things I wish to purchase. I wouldn't call it obsessive (Mark would) It's just really important to me that everything comes together the way (I) we want.

As it came time to start looking for a florist and event designer I realized I have a trust issue. I wouldn't have this problem if mind reading existed and my florist/event designer could look into my head and see my "complete vision" but since we haven't cracked telepathy yet I'm slightly freaked about handing this job over to someone, anyone besides myself. I've even tried to come up with elaborate plans of how I could visit the flower district in the morning and execute all the wedding decor myself the day of, only to be bitch slapped back to reality by any former bride. Apparently I'll have more important tasks to accomplish that day like making myself presentable (see former post) and getting myself to the church on time .

So even as the anxiety built in my chest and the night terrors of gerber daisies and sunflowers gone wrong continued, I knew hiring an event designer was a necessary piece to the wedding day puzzle.

Luckily my first stop was Hatch Creative Studio. I found Hatch on a wedding blog and was intrigued by their use of buttons as boutonneires instead of traditional flowers, something I had thought about doing myself. I checked their site out and set up a meeting. Then I fell in love.

Barb Salzman is the designer and Managing Member of Hatch and she's who I would like to be when I grow up (even though I think we are the same age). I fully trust Barb and I'm very excited she will be executing the decor for the wedding. She wasn't even phased by my 12 mood boards or my color stories! In fact she asked if she could keep them. I'm quite envious of her business model, creativity and experience and only hope I can someday have a very similar set up. Oh, and she's from Westfield.

Learn about Hatch in the Details.

No comments:

Post a Comment