Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Kit'n Caboodle.



So apparently (every bridal magazine says)  it's important you look your very best on your wedding day. This includes many treatments and procedures starting weeks in advance of the big day. 

Facials, mani-pedi's, massage, wraps, exfoliation, extensions, trims, waxes, masks, things applied with airbrushes, aromatherapy, chanting,  you get the picture.

Although I do like my $10 manicure every once in a while, when it comes to the beauty department I have never felt the need to indulge. I've used the exact same Wet'n Wild concealer for roughly 15 years (god forbid if it ever gets discontinued), I usually get a freebee mascara from my Mom's forays into L'Oreal focus groups, and I buy whatever shampoo is on sale. I also usually go about 6,8,12 months without trimming my hair GASP! Although I do appreciate nice quality beauty products I never really seem to buy them for myself.

So when someone wants to charge me $700 to get my makeup done on my wedding day I take some issue with it. Not to mention what an "updo" goes for these days. Oh and that doesn't include the "trial" which (every bridal magazine says) you have to do. That can run you another $100-$350.

So I have to pay someone $700 to bring over their Caboodle (see above pic) and lacquer up my face so me and my bridal party can look like the cast of a Toddlers in Tiaras episode. As if. 

Luckily I love creative bargain hunting. Like my kick-ass photographers (check them out in the details, make sure to look at their photojournalism work, they will be famous one day) who I found on craigslist, I have also been lucky enough to find some very qualified makeup artists who have some very reasonable prices. Living in a city with a wealth of talent which breeds competitiveness + the recession has also helped in driving down prices.

So hopefully my face will be fabulous, if not please keep it to yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment